View Single Post
Old 02-22-23, 11:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My titanium touring bike with racks front and rear but no panniers is roughly 35 pounds, would be about 43 pounds with empty Ortliebs front and rear. Your 39 pounds is quite respectable. My touring weight tires and wheels push up the weight some, as does the Brooks Conquest. I have some lighter panniers but my next trip will probably be with the Ortliebs.

My lowest gear on this bike is a 24T front and 32T rear, for 20.7 gear inches, or about 1.65 meters of development.
Wow! I find that hard to believe based on the weight of my YBB. That’s a lot for a titanium bike. My YBB is a mountain bike with a suspension fork and a rear rack that weighs way less than that. I weighed everything before one of my trips last summer and for this bike

I got thisYBB weight : 29.2 lb
Harness with sleeping bag and tent: 9.75
Pocket: 1.9
Seat bag: 5.25
Gas tank: 0.75
Frame bar: 4.4
Camelbak w/o water: 7.5
Total: 56.9

W/100 oz water: 6.25
Total: 63.2

That’s the total weight of bike, bags, food, cooking gear, etc.

Configuration and weight can change a bit depending on the trip length but not by too much. I carry a bit more food is all and, for the most part, that food is freeze-dry for my off-road touring.

For my road touring bike, I don’t have exact weights of the whole kit but the bike is 28.3 with racks. I do carry food with more weight…I’ll exist on freeze-dry for up to 5 days but not much longer than that…and I carry more elaborate cooking gear. Maybe 45 lb instead of 35 lb.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: