View Single Post
Old 03-06-23, 10:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
On the big jumps between chainrings, I think a lot of front derailleurs are designed for a 16T change for doubles. The compact double of 50/34 is quite common, I have that on my road bike. And we are seeing more bikes with a 46/30 crankset, which also is 16T.

When I built up my LHT in 2004, I used a road triple (52/42/30), but swapped out the 30T for a 24 before I even installed it so the 30T chainring is still pristene in storage somewhere. So, my shift to the granny gear was a change of 18T, which was big, but I did not use the granny gear that much and therefore do not notice it that much. And this was on an eight speed cassette, so only a couple shifts in back countered that big change in front.

A decade later, decided to swap out the 52 big ring for a 46 on my LHT, thus had a half step with granny triple (46/42/24), thus still have the big step of 18T from middle ring to granny in front. I am not suggesting everyone else should use a half step plus granny gearset, it is an acquired taste. I think I got my first half step bike in the late 70s or early 80s, that bike had a five sprocket freewheel, I got used to the benefits of half step at that time. I liked that enough that when I built up another derailleur touring bike, I used the same gearing. And later when I finally got rid of the LHT frame, I put that same drive train on the frame that replaced it, a Lynskey Backroad.

When I ride my road bike with a ten speed cassette and the compact double with a 16T jump, I certainly notice when I shift the front, as I am having to make about three shifts in back to counter that big change But when you have so many sprockets in back, I think you need to expect something like that, it is less noticeable with cassettes with fewer sprockets.