Old 11-17-23, 12:38 PM
cycledog1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Glad to hear things went generally well with the install. Being aluminum, texture on the quill surface will only get mashed down by the harder steel of the steerer tube so I've focused on maximizing contact (hence the smoothness).

If slippage is an issue, be sure that you:
1. greased the threads
2. greased the outside of the cone itself
3. greased between the top cap and steerer tube (that's the bearing surface for the fastener)
4. torqued to 15 ft.*lbs./20 N*m
5. added grip paste to the inside of the steerer tube

Typically that'll do it. If not, I have looked into the issue back when it was first mentioned and made some slight adjustments to the cone/quill interface to improve the available grip range. Your headset shipped prior to the running change being implemented as I just shipped the first silver headset with the updated design yesterday. I'd be happy to get that in your hands if you feel like you've exhausted your other options.

all items well greased before install. in fact, i watched the install video 3x to ensure I did everything right. its a great product, unique.
the only thing I DIDN'T do was to add grip paste to the inside of the steerer tube. what type/brand of paste?

I purchased this a month ago, so its probably the latest version. my suggestion on the design has to do with the pre-set finish, it should be a mat finish that won't slip, so no need for paste. the other change I'd make would to make it 25mm longer so as to avail a slightly higher setting and to allow a 7degr stem to run upsided down to look more traditional. I know its lighter right now, marketing purposes. the material cost is minimal and the ability to cut to length still there. one final item would be to make the top cap larger dia as it sits atop the stem anyway. just a thought.

paste brand/type?