Old 11-17-23, 01:17 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledog1
all items well greased before install. in fact, i watched the install video 3x to ensure I did everything right. its a great product, unique.
the only thing I DIDN'T do was to add grip paste to the inside of the steerer tube. what type/brand of paste?
The video actually doesn't specifically mention greasing under the top cap and it also mentions a lower torque spec (15 N*m). The grease isn't a big deal but it may help transmit the torque somewhat better. The higher torque should definitely help. I am pleased to hear that you watched the video, though! For grip paste, I would use what you can get easily provided that it has friction beads in the paste. I have not tested them all but have personally used Finish Line Fiber Grip on carbon fiber parts and it works for that purpose.

Originally Posted by cycledog1
I purchased this a month ago, so its probably the latest version. my suggestion on the design has to do with the pre-set finish, it should be a mat finish that won't slip, so no need for paste. the other change I'd make would to make it 25mm longer so as to avail a slightly higher setting and to allow a 7degr stem to run upsided down to look more traditional. I know its lighter right now, marketing purposes. the material cost is minimal and the ability to cut to length still there. one final item would be to make the top cap larger dia as it sits atop the stem anyway. just a thought.
I build them right around the corner from where I'm typing and just put the first silver headset together with the new cone so I'm confident that you have the 'old' style. If the shaft on your top cap assembly is black and solid with M8 threads, it's the old version. If it's silver and hollow with M10 threads, it's new.

I appreciate your feedback on the design. I've considered a special extended version for those who want such a thing. I'd say that most customers cut theirs down so making the standard product longer is a waste. A handful of customers like yourself have asked for more length. As such, I'm still mulling it over as it requires at least two new components in two colors (more if offering it in a French or Schwinn version) which means more stock to carry, more SKUs, etc.

The innicycle top cap is the same diameter as the steerer tube portion. The top cap very intentionally does not sit on top of the stem as threadless stems aren't designed for that amount of compression load nor are they all that flat in some cases. By not covering the top of the stem, you can easily swap/flip stems without having to touch the headset. It also allows for adding on a top cap of your choice (a new feature added along with the revised cone geometry). Most users will cut the innicycle steerer so that the top of the top is flush with the top of their stem (see page 1 for images of my set up: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-headset.html).

Please keep me/us updated on the slippage issue.