Old 10-16-21, 02:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've used MicroShift R7 7-speed brifters for a couple of years, no problems. They aren't as elegant as the Dura Ace 8-speed brifters (the only others I've tried), and shifting sounds a bit clacky, but MicroShifts are great values.

The hoods and covers are very comfortable. MicroShift uses separate paddles for shifting up and down, and the brake levers only brake, so operation is pretty straightforward. Braking is very smooth with excellent leverage, better than my older Suntour GPX, Shimano 600 and other aero brake levers.

The only time I notice the exposed cables running inward, roughly parallel with the handlebar, is when I'm using a headlight. I've used elastic hair bands, tape or zip ties to gently pull the cables into a better position so they don't reflect my headlights or interfere with my bike computer, video camera mounts, etc. (I run video front and rear every ride, especially after being hit by a car a few years ago.) A few weeks ago I moved my camera mount under the handlebar/stem to declutter the top. I neglected to be sure steering both extremes wouldn't interfere. Sure nuff, a mile from home I heard my front camera tumble onto the road. The crossing cables pressed the spring-operated quick release and detached the camera. Fortunately the camera was fine, just a couple of scuffs (Drift Ghost X and similar Drift models are really rugged). I used an elastic hair band from my ponytail to reorient the cables slightly, no problems since. So that's the only issue I've had with cables, but it's the same with all my bikes with exposed cables, including my hybrid with bar end shifters and those large cable loops under the bars and grips. There's always a bit of a trick to arranging the cables to avoid interfering with the other junk I clutter up my bikes with.

Beware when searching for MicroShift -- MicroNew will often pop up instead. Those appear to be similar or identical, but user reviews indicate MicroNew may be of lesser quality. I suspect Amazon and possibly Google are pushing MicroNew in searches because MicroShift have been in short supply since the pandemic and economic related shortages and supply chain issues.

I like the MicroShift brifters well enough I may get a set in 10-speed. I cannibalized a 10-speed group from an old tri-bike, but it came only with Dura Ace 10-speed bar end shifters. If I can be sure the MicroShift 10-speed brifters are compatible with my 10-speed DA rear derailleur and cassette, that'll do just fine. Otherwise it'll be cheaper to buy an Ultegra or 105 rear derailleur in 10-speed than find good working 10-speed Dura Ace brifters.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-16-21 at 02:40 AM.
Likes For canklecat: