View Single Post
Old 04-18-19, 12:24 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Anyone have a guess for the best route from New Haven Union Station to the start of the trail at Temple St (or I guess for northbound, really Trumball St)?

Seems to be about a mile and a half; Metro North doesn't go to State Street on weekends or that would be closer.

Thinking I want to head up on the train some time and do the southern piece as an afternoon round trip up to the gap and back before trying to do the whole thing as a one way ride to Massachusetts.

(Or maybe I finally do Walkway over the Hudson... about the same length train ride, about the same amount of trail, Walkway is probably more interesting but the lower piece of Farmington Canal a stepping stone towards riding to MA...)

Edit: What I ended up doing was walking northeast on Union Ave from the train station and crossing under 95, then riding the bike lane on North Frontage Road that becomes Orange Street, Left on George, and right on Church Street and followed that up the east side of the green. Two blocks later left on Grove, right on Hillhouse and the trail is on the left on the lawn of a campus building immediately after the iron bridge. At quarter of ten on a weekend traffic was light and it felt comfortable, can't speak to other times or after dark.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-16-19 at 04:55 PM.