USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
It is not too difficult to go from this...

...to this...

In my case, I also opted for and recommend thumb shifters, a small extra upgrade that adds to the safety factor and does help with comfort...

And for a saddle that is the very epitome of comfort and in keeping with a vintage road bicycle's vintage appeal, the Brooks B17 is hard to beat...

But, at a minimium, you will most likely have to replace brake levers, cables and casings. That would be just about all you will need to replace except a set of handlebar grips. Best of luck with this simple and very effective upgrade. By the way, I will be 73 in a month or two. Welcome to the Bike Forums, a great place to share your vintage bicycle interest.
I agree with Randy.

Also, unless you want to change the number of gears on your bike, there's no reason to have to change the derailleurs.

I looked at the profile pictures. I see the saddle nose is rotated down considerably and the bars are also rotated forward farther than most set-ups I've seen. The saddle position may be contributing to arm strain, as you're not going to be able to sit and pedal without having to support a good bit of your weight with your arms. If the position is usual, and you have the saddle nosed down lessen perineal pressure, perhaps a saddle like the Brooks B-17 Imperial (which has a cutout) would allow you to nose it up without triggering numbness. On the other hand, if the position is such to permit you to reach the bars and apply brakes, a different stem and bars may bring them higher and closer, so that you can bring the saddle nose closer to level, and further reduce the strain on your arms. If you have a shop that you like that does fittings, perhaps it would be worth the nominal cost to be evaluated and fitted. Alternately, you can rely on other friends who cycle, or internet research, or solicit input here, or at some other cycling-related group.

Hope we're offering useful information. Welcome to our community, and wishing you all the best in getting this set up to your satisfaction.