Old 06-30-21, 01:55 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The innovation that has really benefitted the average rider is index shifting, especially being able to shift while keeping your hands on the handlebar. Partnered with shifting aids, it takes the lowest level of skill to operate.

I remember when Shimano came out with SIS. One of the negative aspects for professional riders was the loud click of the DA 7400 shifters. I had a set of 7401 shifters and they were so loud on a quiet route you could probably hear the click for an eighth of a mile. No sneaking up with those.

But my younger self did enjoy those times of trying catching up to someone knowing those shift clicks were heard coming up… lol.

John
AGREED!!! SIS and indexed shifting for the win AND general ease of use applicable to all levels of cycling (except fixies).

That said, much of this thread has a lot of venting and sore nerves, as well as plain old luddism. My take is there have been massive improvements in function since my 1973 Peugeot UO-8 (which I like for its looks and as a reminder of progress). SIS is the big one, as is available brake technologies, and frame dynamics. I am a big fan of SIS, but not the added complexity of replacing cables due to aero features, BUT I can live with it, as it is better, even though I am well versed in friction shifting. Brakes, to me are a different issue, and I prefer rim brakes. I used to think threadless stems were clunky, until the first stem change. WHAT? I do not have to redo the bar tape, etc. SOLD for me! I also like the ability to personalize the stem cap . Pedals, I use what I use, and care less what others use.

Aesthetically, I greatly prefer a diamond frame of the non-compact variety, or with a slightly sloping top tube. And I prefer a steel frame, but I want my SIS, threadless steerer and stem (with curved fork blades) and canti brakes. Would I buy carbon or aluminum? Yes, if I found a bike I liked.

I have heard lots of cases made for tubeless tires. I will stick with tubes for simple easy of maintenance, similar to my rim brake preference. Additionally, I have never had a snakebit tube problem.

What I do not like in general is proprietary stuff. It is often elegant and functional, but only if enough people buy and use it, and I hate being stuck with low supply or possible tech orphans. (What can I say, I owned an SAAB, fortunately before they were orphaned.)

My solution is to buy what I want or like, and admire good looking bikes of all genres.

Now for the people using a tech analogy. Why in creation would I watch a movie on my iPhone when I can watch a 60+ inch TV with surround. Same for PC monitors, you keep those 19, 24, and 27" screens, living is a 32" screen and 5.1 speakers. Same with cars, in tests of vintage, stock muscle cars, the newer cars are faster AND they can corner, all while doing better than the 7MPG of a Ford 427 side oiler with 2 4bbls where you could actually see the gas gauge needle drop. Also, you may not need under 10 second 0-60 times, but under 7 seconds sure makes merging easy.

In summary, we all have our definitions of bargains, good or bad. Use, buy, keep, upgrade, or discard, what you want.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 06-30-21 at 02:04 PM.