View Single Post
Old 08-13-21, 07:28 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Walmart MTBs often have a disclaimer saying that they're not to be used off road. Even the FS ones. Not that it means anything other than CYA Lawyer BS, but take that for what it's worth. On the other hand, don't buy too much bike that you'll never use the capabilities of. The used bike market is a great thing.
My Norco fatbike, which most definitely is a capable off road bike, has the 'not to be used off road' sticker. Most Norco bikes have this sticker in my experience, and I don't think they are the only manufacturer of legitimate off road bikes that are so labelled.

However, Walmart MTBs are generally garbage for what would appear to be their intended use. I have nothing against inexpensive bikes in general, but their $300 full suspension bikes are a scourge. They have the appearance of an off-road capable bike in a package that is more fragile than the wooden rims on a 1930s track bike. They are obviously designed to look like off road bikes, but are not. There are some very entertaining videos online of bike enthusiasts buying Walmart bikes and taking them out for a moderately rough trail ride that consumes the bike in a single day.