View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 01:00 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Still not certain about what to do about the 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix . I had decided to re spray it along with the Chrome Pinarello Montello . In order to get the best paint job I decided to use a 2 part epoxy primer. At $30 a can I thought if I painted both of them at the same time I could hopefully do both frames on one can before the paint went off and became unusable. Yesterday I started to remove the Lenton paint with Clean Strip. What I discovered was that if I scrubbed the paint remover on the frame with a tooth brush I could remove the red / brown repaint leaving the gold Raleigh original paint intact. I proceed to do that and the results are pictured above.

So now the question is will the Lenton be worth more if I leave the extensive patina as some seem to think is the way to go or finish stripping and repaint. The bike looks better in the pictures than in person. All that left of the extensive decaling is the shadows and there is significant paint loss and surface rust. I think that this is a historically significant bike, being the first year the Lenton had derailleur gears. I want to do what ever will result in the best price for the bike exchange. If I do repaint it I would like to match the original color but can't find any rattle can paint that has the right shade. I could have the color custom mixed or paint it black which I think was a stock color or do something completely different and non stock but beautiful. I have some Rose gold metallic I have been wanting to try that would look great. what would you recommend?