Old 05-12-23, 10:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Just out of curiosity, how much did the bike plus rebuild cost all in?
That's sort of a question that 1) you or I don't want to know, and 2) is different depending on what deals one comes across. Some of these components I've had for a little bit, having purchased them new for fair or good deals. Others are new. Dura-Ace is always pay-to-play, and 9000 is no different. If you can compile a 9000 groupset for below $1100, you're doing great. It may be a lot easier if you buy it attached to a bike, but then you'll have to deal with the rest of the bike. The DT Swiss wheels were $350 IIRC when I picked them up used a few years prior. 1600g or so and nearly double the price when new, so I feel good about those. The carbon bars are a few hundred new, but I paid $40-50 for them used. Seattle is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to bikes and components. So this is perhaps a 2k build or a little under. That's some serious money. Granted this is 2k on a bespoke build and not 2k on a bone stock Tiagra-level new bike with nice but heavy componentry and tires (resulting in a much heavier and/or more ponderous ride), so your desire for a specific look or performance vs a desire to just get on and ride will skew things.

I have put the bike back together fully stock with the addition of fenders and am selling it. All those other components stay with me and are on different bikes. It's a bit of how I justify things as I like to build, ride, learn, and repeat, just with different frames. A lot of those 9000 components are now on a '09 Specialized Tricross Sport triple (Tiagra mix) that fits massive 48mm tires on those same DT Swiss wheels. I repainted the frame (paint had been stripped 2 owners ago), added decals, got some super flared Salsa bars, and it all came in about half a pound lighter than the FX, even as the FX frameset was a touch heavier to begin with.