Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak

I was going to ask what your ride is, so that I might be able to buy it if I am alive in 15 years and the price goes down, but then I noticed, your road bike (or gravel bike depending on how you have set it up) seems to be an 1980's replica!

I'd love a 1980's Tange steel bike, or replica, with more modern components.

Soma Fog Cutter
https://thelionscyclery.ca/blogs/the...oma-fog-cutter
It is a replica in style (tan sidewalls, silver components, tan cork-looking bar tape).

But it is basically modern: sloped top tube, disk brakes, modern wheels (cartridge bearings, tubeless compatible rims), threadless headset, modern compact bars with 12 deg flare, STI shifters. I switch between Time Atac clipless and modern flats.

I’ve got the 1st gen Fog Cutter (the red one with QR instead of TA). To be honest, it is a fine frame for what it cost, but it is nothing special. Looks good though, and had the geo, rack mounts and tire clearance I was looking for,

Part of the reason I see this as the golden age is that along with the modern components and tech, there is an amazing variety to choose from these days. You want a fast paved road rocket with electronic shifting? Or a retro looking all-road bike? Or a touring bike? Or a gravel bike? Or a commuter town bike? Or anything in between those things? You can get it all now (well, maybe not NOW with supply chain issues).
Likes For Kapusta: