Old 07-06-22, 09:43 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It’s your body and your physiology, but if I capped my HR at 150 I would not get far.
I find this suggestion unusual. I read a cycling fueling article and experienced for myself if fueling is limited and you want to last as long as possible on a ride without stopping, low intensity effort is the key.

Low intensity efforts gets you into fat-burning mode if carbs are running short and you'll be able to last much longer if burning body fat. Higher intensity efforts will get you into protein-burning mode, if carbs are low. Burning protein will cause early fatigue and hamper recovery post-ride. Strictly in terms of fuel economy, low intensity efforts are better and if fuel is limited, you'll get farther with lower intensity efforts.

That is one reason why the majority of the training time allotted for polarized training is at low intensity effort. Mainly for endurance adaptions without imposing too much on recovery.

On long 6 hr rides in the mountains without stopping, I "carbo-load" the day before and shortly before the ride and bring a fixed amount of fuel. If I work hard enough, I'll bonk the ride mid way and be forced to stop to refuel like ice cream and pepsi. But if I take it easy enough. I'll make the 6 hr ride non-stop and still have plenty of energy left for a sprint on the last 200 m distance from home.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-06-22 at 09:51 PM.