Old 06-28-23, 02:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I am on bp meds and after exercise, or mowing in the heat, my bp gets low. My doctor said it getting low isn’t a problem-as long as it’s not zero.
I just really don’t want to pass out riding. I am not familiar with riding 20+ miles but I have read references to eating granola bars, a banana, etc. while riding. I think I will build up to longer rodes and see how it goes. The extreme heat here will end this weekend so next week I will be out of the gym and on the road.
IME the bigger problem with riding in heat is not needing a snack, it's keeping up with sweat losses. Drinking on a regular schedule (roughly a cup every 15 minutes), and making sure you replace salt along with water, is key to keeping the rubber down. A bit of lemonade mix makes ~1/4 t salt in a bottle of water palatable, or you can use any of hundreds of hydration drinks, powders, licks -- you name it. I can easily sweat 2 qts. of water per hour, but my gut can't absorb more than 1 quart in an hour, so I have to start drinking early and often!
Likes For pdlamb: