Old 04-18-24, 10:36 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
You believe that EPS foam magically absorbs 100% of energy applied to it, as stated earlier.
No, what EricF said was that "100% of the impact energy was not transmitted directly to my/your head," which you continue to obtusely read in a way that you know perfectly well wasn't what was meant. 100% of the energy was not transmitted — instead, some smaller percentage was transmitted after some other percentage was dissipated. This is plain since if no energy had been dissipated, the helmet would be in perfect un-crushed condition.

Your straw men about helmets increasing head size and thereby increasing hazard are just that. I'm not worried about a glancing blow such as might occur if the impact vectors are perfectly aligned so that the helmet makes contact, but my head would have cleared. Those impacts are by definition at a speed and an angle that makes the likelihood of injury small to start with, and I'm willing to incur the slight increased possible frequency of this kind of contact by wearing a helmet. No, I wear a helmet to protect me against the kinds of solid, straight-on impacts where my head will be making direct contact with a hard object — I want something to crush to dissipate some energy such that 100% of the impact is not transmitted to my head. You are free to choose otherwise, but to try to claim that I am less safe via this choice is utter nonsense.

Earlier in this discussion you pointed out that:
Originally Posted by TC1
If the only retort that you can manage is a sad ad hominem attack, you may wish to reconsider, and investigate Twain's comments on fools and silence.
After reading through your dozen or so posts since that, I can't help but remind you of the same.
Likes For retswerb: