Old 12-22-15, 10:48 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I suppose "expensive" is relative to the individual, but I see nothing wrong with a person who loves a particular activity spending as much as they can afford to maximise their enjoyment, as long as it doesn't drive them into debt or mean that the family goes without.

I have reached the age where I am comfortably off and could buy anything I want (within reason - I couldn't afford to buy a 100 foot yacht - not that I want one, I don't get a great deal of pleasure out of possessions, plus I get seasick), but I find it difficult to get over the way I was brought up - in a low income family, where money could not be wasted, and I still have a bit of a guilt complex about spending extravagantly.

I have three bikes at the moment - all made up from new or nearly new frames and components bought after searches of ebay or car-boot (or yard) sales and I love riding each one of them. The mtb and the hybrid cost me about £150 each, while the road bike cost me a staggering £400 (although it would cost £1200 to buy new), but I get a huge enjoyment out of making up my own bikes, and changing the components when I fancy upgrading.

I have a husband & wife pair of friends who pay thousands of pounds for their carbon bikes with electronic gears and they absolutely love them, and great for them. I know they get huge enjoyment for their money, but so do I, and, at the opposite ends of the scale those choices are right for the both of us.
Likes For Gerryattrick: