Old 03-30-20, 10:05 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
good sales job, and I do value people's experience with any new thing. I'm sure I will try it sometime.
re flats, in my riding reality, I get maybe one flat per year, some years no flats. Ride an average of 5000kms per year. Rode all winter this year and touch wood no flats running lowish pressures on old school mtb tires, cheapo clunkers.

From a devils advocate angle, nice feeling tires like the supreme , tubed, have been great for nearly 0 flats during three long heavily loaded tours, same tires, so to me if there aren't thorn issues, this combo works, rides nicely, is robust enough to handle a fair amount of road debris in 7 countries and rough roads galore, so I have less incentive to change knowing I can ride through Latin American countries or a gravelly road in Canada and be okay, touch wood touch wood!

but again, hearing all the clearly positive aspects from many people like you is encouraging, just as it was for me about disc brakes from folks off doing far off tours with them with success.

oh I'd be a bit concerned about below freezing 0c temps and sealant. Would have to learn about that too.
I do agree that where you ride and the kinds of road hazards and debris you encounter is part of it and that’s probably most of the variance in ride reports on a given tire.

A couple of comments:

1. I did ride this Schwalbe G-1 Speeds set up tubeless in a 30mm tire down the rock garden that is the Rallervegen in Norway. I really should have been on a bigger tire or an MTB. Both my wife and I had it set up this way neither had a flat. I consider that an over stress situation for that tire but it was just fine.

2. Orange Seal makes a sealant that goes down to cold temperatures. I ride during the winter here in Minnesota on my fat bike and it’s been fine. I will usually ride, depending on snow conditions, down as low as -5F/-21C. Many ride much colder than that even. So I don’t have any concerns about sealant.

As always, if I did get a flat that the sealant or my Dynaplug plugger couldn’t repair, there is always the option of throwing in a tube which is about as difficult as it would be on a tubed set up. So there’s a lot of upside and very little downside. Main downside is wheel cost if you’re not tubeless ready and investing the time to give it a try.