Old 07-29-21, 01:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Track bikes with no brakes on the road is insane to me. I literally only feel comfortable on the track or apron or warm up area. Everywhere else there's just too many variables, not to mention terrain.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I do quite a bit of training on the track bike on the road. But I am generally very intentional about where and when I do that riding. For example, I will ride on the street in front of my house early in the morning or in the middle of a week day. Or on weekends I will drive over to the local business park that has wide roads and little weekend traffic. I generally cannot fathom riding fixed gear without brakes in normal traffic or on a crit course.
TBH the track bikes have been pretty rare and the last time a guy showed up at a club ride with one some of the other guys told him to stay off the back.
Another friend has done the Furnace Creek 508 twice as well as Paris Brest Paris twice on a fixed gear.

What was weird is a few times a guy on roller blades came to our short Sunday ride. It's an all city ride with lots of traffic lights so the skater could catch up at lights. This was extremely sketchy and a few riders had close calls so we asked him to leave, several times, but he didn't. Finally, a friend who is about 250 pounds unleashed a torrent of obscenities and promised grievous bodily injury if the skater stuck around. That did it and he didn't come back.

Last edited by big john; 07-29-21 at 01:43 PM.