Old 10-23-22, 11:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Has Your Attitude Toward Cycling Changed Over the Decades?

Obviously not for new cyclists, but thought it would be interesting to hear how people’s approach have changed, or not, and why. For you toll mongers, label this thread as you will, but I could not care less.

For me, like running, cycling in my 30s and 40s represented pushing boundaries and gaining accomplishments. Whether it was increasing distances, average speed or climbs I gained a lot of satisfaction. Perhaps it was because my work life was fine, but wasn’t providing real tangibles other than monetary. Of course being able to eat seemingly endless quantities of what ever I wanted to eat didn’t hurt either. Always being achievement driven is part of my DNA which is either a good thing or a curse, since it always meant never settling. Never got into competition other than with my cycling club mates, but that was friendly rather than blood and guts. Just didn’t want to commit more time to get into Cat racing. Always enjoyed the feeling of giving it my all and getting stronger for it as well as feeling pleasantly exhausted at the end.

Fast forward 30 years, and after a hiatus off the road bike for 10 years then getting back after it with the start of the pandemic, I tired to get back into my old ways. I pushed myself hard but recovery took longer which was very frustrating. What I was easily able to do in the past in terms of a day’s ride - 70-80 miles, just seemed like way too much. Now if I do 50-60 I feel like I have pushed it beyond my comfortable 30-40. When young I would attack every hill and now I pace myself, resigned that if I give it too much my energy reserves will be depleted over the long run. I am slowly coming to terms that enjoyment in my 60s means not having to flog myself but doing what I consider a fair distance at a fair average speed (about 15-16) and stopping a taking pictures and enjoying the scenery (which I would never do before since it would ruin my average speed). <-crazy now.

Perhaps I am slow to learn or mature or both in my approach toward cycling. I find that with Strava, following cyclists 20+ years younger still pushing, or Zwift with people running at 250+ Watts it is just a trap that burns me out or sets me back. It has been a tough transition to being slower, lower mileage, etc, but at least I still have the sport I love and am gaining some new appreciation for less performance driven aspects. Will I give up on being as fit as I can be? No way. But that just helps me to climb and get to the places I want to go without beating myself to death. Yes I occasionally slip back into my old ways and go to beat my peers in a Strava segment, but then I go back into crusing rather than flogging mode.

Highlight: Cycling in Italy with Mrs RSbob in the Sienna area. Low light: Riding a metric century up and down a 3000’ mountain pass in the driving rain and having two flats.

So what’s your story? Have you changed or have you remained constant?

Last edited by rsbob; 10-23-22 at 07:41 PM.
Likes For rsbob: