Old 11-20-22, 12:51 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 1,436 Posts
Vincitore! Vincitore! Cena di Pollo!

Just when I think I've got the N+1 thing under control, I'm innocently browsing the Craigslist bike parts section and I come across a couple of vintage frames in my size, both with classic champagne paint. A few texts and emails later, I brought them both home.

I'll start with the one that gave me the title for this thread -- a 1971 Mercian Vincitore. I had never given Mercian bikes much thought before. I see them on here now and then and they're always beautiful, but I could say that about an endless list of bike brands. Mercian wasn't on my short list. But I have a particular weakness for either chrome lugs or particularly ornate lugs, and this one had lugs that were both chrome and ornate. I had to have it.

The paint is rough, but that's actually a characteristic I like in old frames. It means I can send it off to @gugie for some Gugificazione without worrying about the finish. I'm not sure how far I'll go with this one, but it needs at least water bottle bosses. As for paint, I'm thinking British racing green with a white head tube and seat panel.

But wait, there's more! I mentioned two frames, right? Well, brace yourself for this next one...

That's right, a Huffy Aerowind. The seller wasn't going to be home when I could come by, so he left it on the porch along with a jar for me to put my money in. Even within Portland city limits, this bike wasn't taken after being left out on the porch like that, can you believe it? I guess no one who wandered by was aware of its value...

Well, this one doesn't have the original parts, so it comes up a couple a few 9's short of that value, but at least one person obviously thinks highly of these.

Plus it has a brazed-on kickstand plate!

Last edited by Andy_K; 11-20-22 at 01:17 AM.