View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 04:41 PM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my dedicated grocery getter a 1976 Schwinn. This bike started out to be a restoration project but after I cleaned it up and rode it a few times I realized that this was really a sweet bike and suitable for an old man. The rack is made from a discarded skate board trimmed to fit. The stay for it is the seat stay from a frame I had taken other parts from for another project. Strong, wide and flat it makes a good seat for a passenger or to tie down a case of beer. The half-buckets are held on by industrial zip ties. I had planned to do something more sophisticated but zip ties are so cheap and quick I have continued to use them. Since the bicycle is used for cargo I leave the buckets installed. I can get more in them than I really want to carry. The front bucket is a Bell off the shelf item easily detached and really convenient with a carrying handle.
The original running gear has all been replaced with heavier stuff. The original wheels were light weight 1 3/8's replaced with 1.95's on steel wheels. The original gearing was a 10 speed but is now a 15 speed. The crank set is a 3 piece and has 3 chain rings (28-38-48) and the rear is 14 through 28. I don't have any hills here (unless you count the bridges) so you'd think I wouldn't need that kind of gearing but there are no bike paths, side walks or smooth shoulders either. Sometimes I need the gearing to get through the tall grass, gravel and in and out of pot holes. I retained the stem shifting levers for the chain ring shifting (nostalgia) and have an index shifter for the rear. Mostly I stay on the center ring (38t).
The brakes have been replaced with heavier duty rim brakes and would be inadequate for hilly country but that is not here.
The bike is stable and rock solid empty or under load. It weighs 45lbs.
I haven't needed more capacity yet but I think I will add an extension like the extracycle only home made. I'll post pictures when I do.
It ain't real pretty but it works and I have become emotionally involved. I get offended when it is insulted. Maybe I need professional psychiatric help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phto0003.jpg (32.8 KB, 1858 views)
phto0002.jpg (33.4 KB, 1363 views)
phto0011.jpg (34.4 KB, 1536 views)
phto0014.jpg (34.0 KB, 1448 views)
phto0015.jpg (32.5 KB, 1311 views)