View Single Post
Old 02-14-24, 03:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
still looking for a compact rear taillight thats at least 350 lumens, has 8+ hours run time, is type-C usb, & exceeds IP7 rating....

so, no. No new lights here.
compact? Not sure how small you are looking for, but NiteRider has the Omega 330, it puts out 330 lumens but in broad daylight it is very easily seen from over a mile a way.

My older Omega 300 can be blindingly bright at night, so not sure why you would want 350 or more. Cygolite Hypershot 350 Rear Bike Light puts out 350 lumens. The NiteRider on the lowest setting will run for 36 hours vs 500 hours for the Cygolite, but on high the NiteRider will run for 6 hours vs 2 for the Cygolite, so that low setting on the Cygolite must be terribly dim to run that long. I have not been able to compare the brightness of the two, I don't know anyone who owns that particular Cygolite.

But according to this video the NiteRider is significantly brighter, watch the video, the NiteRider is on the right bike; on the second pair of lights the bike on the right again has the NiteRider but he has a cob light flashing first, then he turns on the NiteRider, but then in that shot he puts the Cygolite into some sort of strobe mode, and there is a single strobe like flash that is brighter than the NiteRider which would be extremely annoying at night in my opinion:
Both of my Niterider rear lights use a very good rechargeable battery, one of them is 5 years old the other is 4, and the batteries run times are the same as when they were new.

The only light that is half the size of those if you want something smaller is the Bontrager Flair RT, while it only puts out 90 lumens it is an aimed narrow focused light so when viewed directly from the back it is pretty intense, but once you start moving off to the sides the light level decreases rapidly. You're not going to get a light that size with 350 plus lumens, the battery run time would be extremely short due to the battery size restriction of the light casing. I do own this light, and use it on my rear stay, it's ok, not as healthy in brightness as the NiteRider 300 I have on the seat post, nor as healthy as the NiteRider Aero 260 that is on my helmet at night. But at least Bontrager used a high-quality rechargeable battery, that battery is 5 years old and still lasting as long as it did when it was new.

I did own a Lezyne light a few years back, that battery only lasted 3 years, which is why I never went back to Lezyne for buying another light. Not bad mouthing Lezyne, I love their pumps, they're the best mini pumps on the market, but I hate their lights.