cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by AGranquist
I appreciate all the helpful responses. Thanks!

FWIW - My on-board nutrition comprised of the following:
Mile 8 - 1 soft granola bar
Mile 20 - 1 stick of fruit leather (perhaps the seeds caused the issue?)
Mile 30 - 1 Lil Debbie nutty buddy bar
I drank roughly 60 oz of Gatorade on a consistent pace.
ugggh... mile 8, you just started ? if you're eating proper, your body has enough glycogen for at least 40-50 hard miles. But it's not good to reach a 'depletion' point, so having something earlier is a good thing.
Hydration - mostly water , and small intakes, frequently. - if you're riding in warm, but not 'hot' conditions, one 24 oz water in the 1st 30 mi., 2nd bottle thru mile 50. HOT then 2 bottle should also be OK for 45...
60oz of G-ade for 45 ish miles is what's killing you. (along with the excess solid...) If you gotta have G-aid, use your 2nd Bottle, 1/3 store bought G-aid , 2/3 water - and split drink from both bottles to cover the full ride.
solid - ok for fruit leather at 20-25, but likely not needed. mile 35 ok for the soft granola bar. done... lose the Lil Debby...
You've been asking your body to do more work than it can handle... a lot of digestion AND riding put high stress on your entire system, especially the circulatory. you're not gonna BONK from 45 miles... even if you don;t eat anything
AND giving it some stuff which is hard for the body to quickly assimilate... Lil Debby... Gatoraide...
That Gatorade is the worst stuff for any ongoing, longer than a few minutes, activity. AND 60 OZ, OMG!
If you're worried you're gonna keel over, carry ONE gel pac - it'll take 15 min to get into the system, but it will carry you quite some distance.
This is assuming you haven't loaded up on 4 slices of pizza before the ride...

Yogi-ism : "When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, 'Four. I don't think I can eat eight."
/Yogi Berra

Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: If you think you NEED more hydration, then ok, one more bottle - PLAIN WATER!, plan to 'nature break' on the ride...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-08-22 at 06:05 PM.