View Single Post
Old 12-31-23, 10:17 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
NO, No, No, to a black top tube. Take a scratch-x self degrading rubbing/polishing compound to the fork. A half interested clerk at an automotive paint store should get you to a match. Various paint choices, house of color, Chromabase (was Dupont) others. Many paint stores can even make up a custom rattle can of the mixed color, I would clean the fork and dab on the color mix onto the steerer to confirm. Buy a quart of Prepsol, used to remove any contamination and wax, oil to promote adhesion. A possible strategy would be to talk to a used car manager, they all have a mobile guy or two who touches up cars and knows tricks, has the materials to get you there. Might even come to your house.

A fellow club member decades ago had a Super this color and basically the same graphics, on his bike, All Black, no two tone on the chainstays. I Definitely assess the graphics as Original.
‘there is a weirdness. At the top of the lower head lug of some black swiped on the shoreline, like an attempt at lug lining. ?.
‘if you want to ruin a bunch of the resale value later, suffer a bout of paintitis and paint it black.
later today I can post some images of my earlier frame with All black graphics.
Well, you have to pick and choose your battles. I am concurrently working on a vintage Cannondale, Nishiki, Vitus, and carbon Trek also. There is only so much time in the day and stripping and prepping is a laborious process. Especially paint removal. Current modern-day strippers are largely underperformers.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-31-23 at 10:21 AM.