View Single Post
Old 01-31-22, 11:32 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Thanks for the information GR! Trying to sort through it. Thinking that the way to go would be to find a light that will work while being charged. I think for a primary light, I wouldn't want to go under the 350 lumens that I had before, although most of the time I did not run it on the high side. Some conditions warrant more light, so it would be good to have at least 350.
Comparisons are hard. Some are rated in Lux and others in Lumens. More importantly is the shape of the beam. For me, the "color" or hotness of the emitter matters a lot. Some are just too hot and I find them fatiguing at night. I like a cooler beam. I actually know which emitter I like. Crazy.

My light has 100, 300, 450, and 750 lumens running 25, 8.5, 5.5 and just under 3 hours on the stock pack with good batteries, respectively. I triple those times with my external pack. I find 300 and 450 to be the sweet spot. I can descend fast on 450 lumens with no worries. 300 lumens is more than enough for me. The beam patterns are hard to evaluate online. Mountain bikers are probably the best source of those comparisons. I am guessing 300-400 lumens is about what a top dynamo light puts out onto the road, but does it with about half the amps
Likes For GhostRider62: