View Single Post
Old 02-04-22, 08:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Further research of the BC30 V2 and wondering about battery recharge? From one Youtube video, it looks like there is a large battery charger used to charge the Fenix 18650 batteries. Wondering if another method of charging and/or a different type of 18650 can be used for the sake of reducing the pack? Getting my education on new (to me) types of batteries.
On the BC30, there is a battery tray with a half turn latch and then it slides out, IIRC. You replace the batteries with fresh ones. The discharged batteries are charged in a dedicated charger back home. You must buy the batteries and charger. Fenix used to offer a BC21R using one 18650 that could be charged in place with a USB cable, like the way you charge a phone. That is my backup light. It is very light weight. Could also be used in a pinch to charge a Garmin nav device up.

The V2 BC30 requires button top 18650 batteries OR you have to shim the case to keep the batteries from jostling around. I have about 20 or so Panasonic 18650 flat top batteries, which is one reason I did not buy a V2. Although the bluetooth remote was almost enough.....the case just does not fit on my mount on my recumbent. The remote switch would have been awesome. The V1 low beam (200 lumens) was not quite sufficient in throw for me. Looking at the specs on the V2 emitter, it probably is pushing 240-250 lumens. I also tend to be a faster rider than many randos at night, so, throw is important to me. My ancient BT20 has a nice wide pattern up close and a long spot in the distance, but maybe time to upgrade? To what.