Thread: 2022 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 06-07-22, 07:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That gravel in DT's post looks really fast, so I wouldn't mind it. More dirt than gravel, and hard-packed. I have been on some really rough gravel on brevets that I wasn't particularly happy about though.

Mac 'n' Cheese had some inadvertent gravel that I'm sure they would have routed around if the asphalt hadn't been taken out in the week between the pre-ride and the ride itself. I was a little surprised I made it through that without a flat, but it doesn't seem like anyone had a problem with it. I might have gone around, but we had a massive tailwind and going around would have meant riding into it for about a mile. Nobody needs that on the last day of a 1200.
It was far better than some chip/seal I've ridden. In particular I recall a 200k out of Mineral Wells, Texas where the chip/seal was like railroad ballast half embedded in tar. Astounding.

It should never be a surprise to find gravel, unless there's a last minute detour. Around here, the rides are well described beforehand.