Old 06-13-22, 11:15 AM
Cnguyen323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Both tubeless and hydro discs have their place. From what you've described, the biggest difference in putting them on your bike is you'll be able to say you put them on your bike.

I'm somewhat close to your weight and most of my miles, in much hillier areas, are done using cantilever brakes. Good quality brakes, well adjusted, with Koolstop pads. The bike seriously STOPS.

You say you're new to cycling. Take a deep breath, buy some really good tires, and ride the bike (and learn how to maintain it).
Its a well made bike and I will definitely ride the hell out of it! I think I’ll just try and improve my skills and awareness as much as I can until I’m ready to replace worn out parts or buy a whole new bike. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rolla
The correct answer is "get both." Good disc brakes and tubeless tires are, to me, mandatory upgrades, and I'll never buy a new bike that doesn't have them. Upgrading to both doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor, but if you're on a budget, get the brakes first. Hybrid cable/hydro brakes feel a little different than full hydros, but the performance is pretty much identical. The Juin Tech units are available under other brand names, btw.
I think I will eventually get the juin techs if these tektro’s ever start acting up or getting difficult. Are those other juin tech exactly the same or are you talking about z race and similar hybrid calipers?

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I spotted this and it stood out; what size tires are you running and what kind of bike?

Because I weight the same as you and my road bike needs to be at 100psi (700x28) and the mountain bike at 40psi (29x2.4"), so I'm not sure if you're running at a suitable pressure.

Also, unless you're having difficultly stopping quickly enough, or having problems with flats or tire pressure being too high, I'd just leave them alone and but the money into your next bike instead. I've spent a small fortune upgrading almost all of my bikes and then lost it all when I've inevitably just got a better bike.
It’s a gravel bike with 700x37 wtb riddlers. I think I’m within the recc psi but I’m new to all things cycling. they feel good. But my average speed is usually 11-13 mph. I assume that’s due to the knobs and width of the tire. I think you’re right about just riding until I get a new bike. I splurged for compressionless housing because many said it’s a game changer for my bike specifically.