View Single Post
Old 06-17-22, 08:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I have no experience with them but have been involved with a number of carbon frame repairs over the years as the LBS guy handling the break down and rebuild. So take my comments with some salt...

The first thing I note is their removal of the OEM carbon about the damaged area. I suspect this is to prevent the cracks from spreading/growing, kind of like the "myth" of drilling a hole at the end of a crack in a metal frame. I know of no other outfits that say they do this. The usual repairs I have seen have had a number of wraps of carbon over the damaged areas. These result in a, usually, very minor increase in the size of the repaired area. I wonder if EBC's method is an attempt to not have any build up. If so than do they have the overlapping of the "patch/plug", with the OEM structure, on the inside of the frame?

Next is their use of ultra sound to assess the damage. This seems to me a great method. But I have never done this so don't know if it's more marketing than science.

The claim that they can read the layout schedule of each layer of carbon seems a bit grand IMO. Again, I have never heard of this being done by others before. But if true would be good data to have.

"We use only the correct prepreg carbon fiber" It's my understanding that there are a number of specs that different frame companies use for different frames and for different locations on any one frame. So EBC must have a wide range of materials, carbon row/cloths and resins to duplicate any one repair's OEM spec.

I hope my questions are already taken into account many repairs ago and that EBC is a class act that is using leading edge techniques and will get great looking and long lasting results. I look forward to others with more experience and actual hands on skills replying. Andy