View Single Post
Old 06-27-22, 11:56 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I do think riding a featherweight bike will improve performance and demand less work.
That is why I ride a $200 bicycle that is heavy and obsolete. I get a better workout than if I had a fancy easy to ride lightweight bike.
Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said. Equipment can never compensate for lack of skill and ability or practice.

It's a common theme from some that heavy bikes = greater workouts or that it's the rider not the bike etc.

Not entirely true...

Watts are watts. Whether you ride a heavy bike or a light bike, 300w is 300w and the difference will be how fast and enjoyable that 300w will be, not the intensity of the workout - that will remain the same.

Sure, a lighter bike will be 'easier' to climb with. No doubt. For example, Rider A on the light bike may only need 280w vs rider B on the heavy bike using 300w to achieve the same time on the same gradient - assuming all else is equal, such as w/kg etc. Hence why we train with power meters today; we can see our target, we can ensure we maintain the watts required for the workout goals - regardless of bike weight etc. So the heavy bike theory is incorrect, it doesn't make a workout harder if the rider on the lighter bike matches the same physical effort. They will just go faster.

It's the rider...yes, this is mostly true. However, there comes a time when an athlete cannot lose any more weight beneficially and is in peak condition. What then? Well, at that point, it is over to the bike! A bike more suited to a particular course; weight, aero etc will provide gains over another athlete with a bike not as efficient or fast. Therefore, the bike will make a difference in terms of increasing speed.
Marginal gains are important for many athletes where they are needed to remain competitive with others who are also in good shape and have them. It becomes a bit of an arms race at the top; chasing every watt of advantage.

Anyway, to quote Eddy Merckx: "Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride".