View Single Post
Old 09-16-22, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCox
Thanks T-Mar. How did you get those photos. I tried to post them but it wouldn't let me. That's the exact one i was looking at. Also, what would you pay? Like 50$ cheap? or...
This is the type of bicycle that I'm reluctant to assign a dollar value without an in-person inspection. It does not present well in the photos, so there's a good probability that there are further issues that will only reveal themselves by a physical examination.

As noted by other members, 753 is a very thin, lightweight steel. Consequently, it's more susceptible to dents and any corrosion compromises an already thin tubing wall. There are no apparent OEM parts, with the possible exception of the seat post. Even the headset has been replaced. So, why wasn't the seat post replaced with the other components? Maybe it's seized? Or maybe the donor bicycle had the incorrect size seat post? Frozen seat posts can beome a major project in even a lesser frame but extreme care would required to extract one from 753. A frozen post would elicit a hard pass from some members and a drastic price reduction from others, but you won't know unless you take some wrenchs and test its movement.

The bicycle has been neglected. So what is the condition of the bearings races, chain, chainrings, sprockets, etc.? Are the derailleur pivots sloppy? As noted, the crankarms can fetch a tidy sum, but many of the older design also suffer cracking.

So, while the frame and the older components are desirable, unless they have good service life remaining, the bicycle can quickly become a money pit, as replacement costs escalate with the level and age of the parts. For the most part, it's something you can't judge from the photos but the overall neglect suggests there will be other issues beyond what is apparent in the photos.

Is it worth $50? Yes. You could almost certainly get that out it, somehow. Many would be happy to pay that, even it turned out to be just a wall hanger. $50 is cheap admission to say you belong to the "753 Club". However, beyond that the attractivenss decreases depending on the issues and since there is a high probability for unseen issues, I don't have a reasonable confidence level in where the fair price point lies.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-16-22 at 09:30 AM.