Old 02-25-21, 07:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
Maybe it does not make a lot of sense to you , it does make a lot of sense to some of us.

It appears that you are what might be described as a “purist”, high end bikes designed for maximum performance. I would say that in my racing days that I would have described myself the same way. My last racing back which I built in the mid 90’s weighed 15 pounds ready to race.

when I first built our Calfee Tetra back in 2001 I built is as light as possible with a moderate budget. I had it down to right at 27 pounds.

I installed the motor to increase our range and help battle the almost constant wind we have on the Prairie here in Illinois.

here are the benefits for us: 1. Extended range, my stoker used to only want to ride around 30 miles on a ride, we have extended that to 50.
2. Windy days were non riding days, now winds of over 25 mph keep us off the bike. 3. Taking off from a stop on an incline is no longer an issue, I just use a little throttle to get us going. 4. We can ride with any group and will often set the pace. 5. Hills which we don’t have many of are are a non issue. 5. Having the motor along with the throttle gives us the ability to ride more defensively or accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

We enjoy riding more now than we did prior to the motor and I believe that is what tandem riding is all about, having fun riding with your stoker.

wayne
yep same with us. I am lucky if I can put out 200 watts for more then a few miles usually 160 or so is my best. my wife may noe be able to do better then me even though I ride about 3 times as many mikes as her. it makes it fun and thats all that matters I get exercise and have fun doing it. going slow is not as much fun. we live in portland or and there are a lot of hills some only block or two but some 20% grades a lot 16% or so.
Likes For fooferdoggie: