Old 06-01-22, 07:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think the one distinguishing feature of a gravel bike is that it resembles a canonical drop-bar road bike, but can accept wider tires (say 35-38mm) that make off-pavement riding more pleasant (or possible).

For example, the current Trek Domane would qualify. There are of course many purpose-built gravel bikes, but they might be less capable on paved roads.

Attributes like disc brakes and lower gearing really help, but I wouldn't consider them defining characteristics (but would insist on them for any of the off-road rides I do). Disc brakes also allow fitting 650b wheels with wider tires.

It should be able to handle most non-technical single track and very rough, steep, unpaved fire-roads to get the full potential, while ideally not presenting a huge on-pavement penalty.
Huh. I was thinking a bit fatter tires, since I've got a touring bike that'll handle 35 (and maybe skinny 38) tires. Maybe I don't need another bike?

Most of the fire roads I've seen in the southern Appalachians tend to be decades old, with washed out gullies that are hard to hike. Are the fire roads near you better than that?