Old 08-17-22, 06:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What you are talking about is a transponder. And if you think about it, Drivers will become reliant on the "fact" that cyclists and pedestrians have these, and will stop thinking for themselves. So the first time you go out with a low battery in your transponder... you get hit.

Now on the other hand, every driver out there has a big windshield, and is required to at least see out of one eye... and by law is required to NOT HIT THE THINGS IN FRONT OF YOU. One might think that would be sufficient.

But, sure, let's complicate things by adding transponders to ordinary humans so the smart cars can do what the dumb drivers won't do.

BTW as an aside... I like those blinkers that have a system that increases the blink rate as a motorist approaches... is that a Garmin Radar thing?
In case you haven't noticed, a lot of drivers aren't paying attention anyways. If I'm wrong about that, we wouldn't be discussing how dangerous our streets are.

However, if the Varia can work without any requirement for cars, I'm sure the engineers at Garmin can do the same thing for cars without any requirement for cyclists or pedestrians. That's the premise behind self-driving vehicles.

But if the transponder is the current solution, what would be the big deal if they are supplied free of charge to all cyclists and pedestrians paid by, of course, auto manufacturers or licenced drivers. If you can carry your keys, wallet or purse with you everytime you leave your home, you can carry a transponder too.

New cars nowadays supply so many things as standard features anyways and if you also haven't noticed a lot of those features suit the bad driver, like parallel parking and blind spot detection.

Complicated? It's already here.