Old 07-09-20, 11:02 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Looking back my old self directed training over the first few months back on the bike, I had a time in zone of around 50% endurance, 35% tempo, and 15% FTP+. The last 4 weeks my coach has my time in zone around 80% endurance, 5% tempo, and 15% FTP+. Similar amount of kJ / week, but a little more saddle time. Overall I feel better in general, with less fatigue during the week, and my power numbers have made huge improvements. Starting to wonder if the polarized model *is* in fact a better way to go than doing a ton of SST...
Polarized training is not based on time, it's based on training sessions. Unless you're doing 8 easy sessions and 2 hard sessions, you're not doing actual polarizezd training (and a tempo session likely wouldn't even be done, or would be included in the 8 easy sessions).

The body typically responds to a new stimulus. If you haven't done much volume in a while, it makes sense that you improve.

Conversely, if you do years of volume with little intensity and then cut hours to do more of it, then it also makes sense that you improve.