View Single Post
Old 04-27-21, 07:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
3 of us rode 50 miles today with 3000 feet of up. It was breezy and mid 50s and I rode the Gunnar to see how the drivetrain worked. Also I wanted to see if I feel less beat up than after riding the Seven, (I did).
I put a new chain on it and the middle ring was so bad it was noisy and the chain would hang off in a strange angle when in the large cogs. It's 6603 Ultegra and they are not available.

I ordered a regular 39 double ring from Jenson because it was on sale and I figured it would at least be good enough for me. The triple ring has big ramps built into it to help it shift up from the small ring. I got an e-mail from Jenson after 2 weeks saying they are processing my return order. WTF? I checked my credit card and they refunded part of the money. I wrote to them, couldn't get anyone on the phone, and they never said why it was returned. Eventually they said they would refund the rest of the money. A fiasco.

I started a thread in Bicycle Mechanics and a couple guys linked to stores that had 105 rings in stock. I hadn't considered 105 rings but people had them in stock. My LBS guy didn't have any but I wanted to see him before he retires next month so I went there on Thursday and saw an old crankset in the display case and it had a triple with a 39 on it. It didn't look exactly like the Ultegra ring but he gave it to me and it works. Happy ending!
Likes For big john: