View Single Post
Old 07-01-21, 11:14 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Good thread. I thought the pinched and sealed version of these things were no longer available, but at $12 ( not the 20-5 I had seen) these look like a deal.
I would not try the "salvage and patch when you get home" non destructive removal of a flat tube, unless you could just stuff it into the casing.
If it is tied to spokes and gets loose on the way home, somebody could get bad hurt. Jammed wheels, esp in front, not good.
I have some IGH and hub drives and they are misery to have to change on the road, whereas a split tube or regular tube I can do like an Indy pit stop.
Given tubes run $7-9 retail , I just patch because I hate waste, and that is aesthetics, really. My patches only fail if blown, stem leak or ones that have multiple patches or punctures.
Good reminder that tubes can get patched without removal, which is useful on those that are tougher to mend at the roadside.

At the least the carrying of a spare tube humors the tire gods to pass you over.