Old 07-20-21, 08:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
When I first returned to riding I gave e-bikes a serious look, mostly because I have a tendency to get in over my head, such as riding or hiking a long way out and having difficulty getting back. Fortunately I seem to have gotten better at that. But I went with a standard bike, have ridden it a great deal, and really enjoy it. But I use it for recreation and exercise, not commuting and errands.

I live in a rural community 12 miles away from the town where I buy groceries and do other errands. I'm increasingly conscious of using my car for that and keep thinking an e-bike would be a nice solution, especially if trying to get home before frozen produce melts. The major issue, however, is I don't know of a route that doesn't involve a state highway, which makes it risky (many here have bike-hostile attitudes as well). So no e-bike for me just yet, but if a safer infrastructure ever exists (either here or someplace I move to) I may get one.

For a general tidbit, the shop where I bought my bike said e-bikes are especially in demand, even more than their regular bikes. It's in a medium sized city (Akron) near a very popular multi-use path. When I bought my bike, just as the pandemic was starting, another customer was getting an e-bike so he could avoid taking busses and didn't want the expense of a car.
Great point about commuting/errands. My wife works in a small town about 5 miles up the road, which is quite hilly. It can be ridden easily enough on a normal bike, but can get a bit sweaty with the climbs, which is not what you want when arriving at work. An e-bike would be a great option in that situation. Faster and less sweaty than normal cycling and far more environmentally friendly than using the car.
Likes For PeteHski: