View Single Post
Old 05-06-10, 02:40 AM
reidracer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some names I haven't heard in a long time...

In my memory of fast riders, 2 come to mind that were head and shoulders above the rest while I was chasing them. The first was a wee lad of 16-17 in the back farm roads of Madison, Wisconsin. I was just into the senior ranks as an 18 year old and young Tommy Matush left us for dead. He was on junior gearing and smashed the tt time of everyone who rode that day. Only G. Lemond would have caught him...he was minutes ahead of second place. Sad that he never chose to race on to the Euro level, but he was an inspiration nonetheless. Next only a few years later when I had moved to SoCal was a bullet quick guy with endless endurance named John Brady. I worked with John for a brief spell and foolishly thought I could hang on rides with him. Then he went and won the La Jolla Grand Prix in something like '87. Worth mentioning, but not a 7-11 guy was of course Wayne Stetina who blistered the lakefront course I grew up racing on to become national champ in 1985 for the second time. He beat some 7-11 folks that day handily. Still the greatest Shimano parts guy ever!!!