Old 06-27-19, 09:35 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamdarb
If you have any issue with getting a coy of the Route 9 map, let me know and I can have mine sent to you.
Thanks for that generous offer. I think I can manage without having to bother you with that but we'll see: previously the Route 9 maps I've seen were faulty Google Maps that wouldn't zoom in correctly but today I found a BikeMap.Net listing with working OSM & Google Maps versions. No cue sheet but the route is simple enough so that shouldn't be a problem. BTW the NY State bike pages look rather complete but are really quite dumb. No d/l for Rt 9, phone # for ordering map is non-working; reportedly their map is 20 years old anyway. The site lists numerous bike co-ordinator etc officials but it's quite unclear what they actually do. Rather a shame, NY state has some beautiful areas for bike touring, they don't do a good job at promoting.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Possibly the best route out of the city is the Van Cortlandt Old Put Trail/South County/North County Trail. 40 ish miles up to Carmel, then head up towards Wassaic, up the Harlem Valley Rail Trail and your half of a third of the way to Albany on bike paths. Then just meander a bit NW to Albany.
Thank you, I'll have to check this out. Initial portion would bypass West Point but that's not a must-see for me. Possibly use those trails to Millerton & then cut west to Rhinebeck & then follow 9 more or less. Nice to see some options. Roberts-1.com seems to have some good route info too including various options. BTW I'm a bit surprised that ACA doesn't have a Hudson route. I had planned to ride the GAP this summer but Hudson route looks possibly more interesting, maybe do GAP in early November instead to see fall foliage & Bicycle Heaven.

https://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/