View Single Post
Old 10-31-19, 08:48 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffs
As a wheel builder I'd be recommending something like 36h Velocity Cliffhanger or DT TK540 with 14/15/14 Sapim/DT spokes and DT350 hubs. If you wanted something even stronger and don't mind the weight then Ryde Andra 35 is a great rim.
If you do break a spoke on the drive side rear, which is the most common point of failure, with the DT hubs you don't need to carry tools to remove the cassette.
Thanks for the recommendations. Pricing it out and looking at my budget has me resigned to repairing the wheel (again). I'm hoping that the spokes breaking are just the remnants of an incident with a bungee. The wheel can still be trued, but it is not as round as a fresh rim. Considering that these wheels have the hallmarks of a value machine-built set with the low-end shimano hubs, I'm not set on keeping them long term. If this is the last spoke to break, I'll have plenty of time and riding to do before I need a new set. Heck, I might even consider a dyno hub!
Likes For Unca_Sam: