Old 08-24-20, 07:40 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sprint workouts mean long periods of low intensity between the efforts. Meaning, it is almost irrelevant how long to wait so long as you recovered enough. Meaning, you could have waited just 30 seconds more and went again with him well clear. Sprints are short enough also you wouldn’t have caught him unless you decided wrongly when to go.

Your fault bud.
From my perspective, I don't subscribe to that method all the time for some intervals - I do that when doing repeated full gas hill intervals, sprint, try not to puke, recover, sprint etc but when doing sprint intervals during a ride at specific points I do not slow down too much at all, in fact I try to keep a good pace.

In a race, when you attack or someone else attacks, you don't get the luxury of recovering comfortably after the harder sprint effort, instead you have to dig deep and keep a good pace going either to hang onto a wheel and to put in strong driving efforts yourself working with others or to make a solo break work. I therefore like to combine sprint intervals with a strong average pace. If I see someone ahead I'm not going to slow down or wait for my sprint if it happens to be on a segment I want to go for; I'm working on my average and wanting the segment. Tough ask, but valid training.

If someone I pass wants to use my wheel, fine, I'm ok with it, but I'll completely ignore them and carry on with my own ride. They are more than welcome to race away if they want as well, I'll do my training regardless and I won't sit on their wheel since that kinda defeats the object of my own training - I get twice weekly Group rides for that.

I wave and greet everyone, I won't join a Group uninvited, I won't sit on a wheel uninvited, I don't mind others using my wheel but I am not going to disrupt my training because it might make someone jump to the conclusion that I am challenging them. No way.