View Single Post
Old 12-13-21, 11:39 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
After a bunch of trial and error...

The hub shell is threaded on both sides. freewheel standard 1 & 3/8" on one side, odd ball 1 & 3/16" on the other side (the side with the 16 tooth ACS FAT freewheel). The cups are different sizes. Smaller on the side with smaller freewheel threading. The cones are the same outer diameter but the bearing surface is cut smaller on one cone. and one cone is shorter. So left and right specific cones. 5/32" balls on both sides seems to work best. larger sizes have the balls running on the edge of the cones, not in the center of the bearing surface. About 15 balls on each side. Seems sensitive to having what I'd say is enough. Turned much smoother if I took out one. (kinda like a headset). 14mm axle x 1.0mm pitch. What the hardware stores call extra fine pitch (but they don't carry that anyhow).

The ACS FAT freewheel is noticeably fatter than normal single freewheels. I found out that ACS also makes left side drive specific freewheels. This ACS FAT seems better quality than the endless stream of bso single freewheels.