Old 08-15-22, 09:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Ah now this is interesting. I did a tiny bit of research into Cinelli after picking up an SC recently, and this transition period with Antonio Columbo stood out:

(Steel Vintage)

Long before I was interested in vintage bikes, the Cinello flying C was for me the most recognizable cycling logo indicating some sense of class and long standing tradition. I'd see it at tattoo shops and skate shops and bars. It hadn't yet occurred to me that the logo might not be as old as it felt, and that the timeline of branding revisions and business acquisitions could be quite interesting itself.

Re: the stem in question, I'm with a lot people on the forum in being period correct if you have it or can afford it.
Originally Posted by Robvolz
when was the Cino Cinelli era?

I heard a mention of 1978 is the year Columbus Tubing bought them.

Did he stick around as an employee of the company? President emeritus style?

Or was he bitter like designer Jil Sander after Prada bought them?

Also, thread hi-jacker Peroni.....Where-abouts do you live? I might have a rear hub.
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I think it was pre 1978. I think his son did stick around for a while. Now - I may be completely wrong. Hi Robvolz.
billy had it here already, here it is again,

In 1978, Antonio Colombo [their emphasis] joined Cinelli as the main shareholder and the successor of Cino Cinelli. He set about updating the company and commissioned the new Cinelli logo to Italo Lupi, a young architect who over the years would design important logos; Prada, Fiorucci and the Turin Olympics. Cinelli's logo was among the first to completely distance itself from the heraldic tradition, becoming the most imitated logo of the internet of modern cycling.