View Single Post
Old 09-29-16, 06:58 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't understand why someone would not want to pass slower riders because they were afraid of the way they would look, and then disparage and look down their nose at the same group of riders on an internet message board.

I think the latter looks worse than the former.

-Tim-
I just try to ride at a pace that works for me at any given time, and if that means I pass someone or get passed, so be it. I did get a "no fair" today when I blew by a guy on a touring bike, going uphill (about 2 to 5% grade I think) in the Big Ring, at max heart rate. It was the final 5 km stretch of a 76 km ride with 750 m elevation so I was hammering home as I often do on that stretch. I managed, with this ride, to get my 9000 meter September climbing challenge on Strava, and got within 64 km of my 4000 km goal for the year, which started back on March 9th; I'm also now over 40,000 m elevation on the year. I should hit that on the next road ride (at this time of the year I often do mountain bike rides on the dirt roads to enjoy the fall colours). Anything after that is a bonus!

On Monday, I rode 82 km with 893 m elevation. I've been averaging about 200 km a week for the last 4 weeks. My season is likely to end in 3 weeks as I'll be traveling in Italy into mid-November. Some years we can ride right into December but that's iffy around here. A big problem by then is lack of daylight, in December sunset is at roughly 4 pm