ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
I switched to Keo from SPD-SL. from my perspective, there is absolutely no difference on the bike. Only notable (to me) difference is when off the bike and when moving off of a stop sign/ red light. I use classic keo cleats (non grip version) and they have a 50/50 tendency to slip on the asphalt when starting after a complete stop when I can’t get going perfectly and have to push off with my unclipped foot.

I use cleat covers off the bike, so walking with keo cleats is not a problem for me, but I can understand how problematic it can be judging by how easily it slips when starting from a full stop. With SPD-SLs, neither walking, nor starting off a red light has been a problem.

Another point is probably the depth of the “lip”. I don’t know what to call it but the edges that engage to the pedal are deeper on spd-sl, and it accepts thick neoprene over boots better than the Keo cleat/pedal combination.

what I like about keo cleats are, most of all the look memory eyelet system*, which makes swapping cleats a 1 minute job, and the wear indicator holes on the cleat body. I almost always unclip with the same side and when that cleat wears down, I can swap left/right cleats minutes before I go out for a ride.

* In fact, this feature is so good that even though specialized shoes are a better fit to my feet, I keep buying shoes that have the look memory eyelet anchors in the soles.
Originally Posted by sfrider
What makes Keos hard to clip in is the cleat doesn't easily move across the pedal when not clipped in, so you can't just slide it forward, or back, a little until it clips in. Instead they tend to catch and snag in all kinds of positions, and when you lift it to unsnag it so you can slide it forward a little to clip in on the Assiomas the pedal very easily rotates - and is now upside down. It's also hard to tell when the pedal is upside down, there's very little difference in feel. For me this means if I fail to clip in the first time, which might happen 20% I end up having to look down to see what's going on. SPD-SLs on the other hand after you rotate the pedal a little with your toes and place the cleat on the pedal it easily slides forward and locks in.
Thank you for the responses. I definitely find the Assiomas harder to clip into than my old Keo pedals - they do spin if you miss. Very annoying. I've been using aftermarket cleats with little rubber bits for years, so walking / slipping hasn't really been a problem. One of these days I'll give SPD-SL s a shot.
Likes For ericcox: