View Single Post
Old 06-15-21, 06:01 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
Stick with it ! Most new racers find it hard and it is but learning, training and proper pre-race prep will help.
Don't eat just before the race...your body needs to focus on the racing needs not digesting food.
Warm up properly...you should have raised your heart rate to near interval rates to begin the bodies processes at such a level...timing is everything, you don't want to be on the start line exhausted but also you don't want a 30 minute cool down while waiting for the race to start...timing.
Be well hydrated...you likely won't have time to drink for the first few laps as the pace is high and you have no time...

I always walked the course backwards so I could watch how racers were handling curves, turns, etc. before my race...unless you are in the first race.
Keep a journal and note how you felt prior to the race...rest, food, etc. the night before...warm up prior to race...where you lined up...pace at start...how you felt, etc.

Being aggressive helps a lot...stay as close to the front as possible as long as you can maintain the pace...don't let gaps open as they will be filled and you will be pushed back over and over...that's one of the harder aspects that takes racing to learn and grow.
As has been said there are some very fast riders in the cat 5 races that don't want to pursue higher cats possibly because they are tri people, etc. You just have to be as fast and hold on for dear life until your abilities grow.

Additionally the more experienced racers...cat 5 experience is quite varied while 4's are a bit more stable but still do the same for the same reasons...want a very fast start to burn off the less fit and experienced riders. Generally this makes for a safer race as control, handling, etc. improves with fitness so the faster the start the safer...in general but mistakes happen and they do so quickly with little time to respond or survive.

Just keep going. If you enjoy the experience and continue to improve you will.
Good luck.

Last edited by Kai Winters; 06-15-21 at 06:06 AM.