Old 10-28-21, 08:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...you won't get a real durable finish in any event, unless you are willing to use at least a final coat of 2 part urethane paint (like the stuff they paint cars with, but it comes in a mix it yourself spray can). AS a couple of people have already said, you won't be able to buy (as a dumb civilian) any sort of stripper that will hurt the chrome.

The whole masking process to keep the lugs free of paint is a little tedious, and unless you really want that look for some reason, I'd just paint the whole frame and fork one color. I would not take a chance on painting over someone else's paint, on a chromed frame, especially if it already looks rough. Given your goals as stated, for something with decent paint, as a rider, my advice would be to strip it with whatever they sell at the home improvement paint department near you, rough scuff everything on the frame and fork with some 220 sandpaper, lay on a coat of urethane primer in a color you can live with, skip the color coat, apply decals (stickers from a reputable supplier of bike restoration stickers), and then finish over those with a final coat of clear gloss glamour, like this stuff.

If you want to get fancier, you can apply a color coat or even a metallic color coat, after the primer, but before the stickers and final clear.
Likes For 3alarmer: