View Single Post
Old 03-29-21, 07:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Good stuff - they should definitely be in every tubeless users flat kit. That said, keep an eye on it - I've found that, with my sealant (Orange Seal), if the cut is big enough to need a bacon strip, it's also big enough for the bacon strip to eventually work its way out because of the air pressure in road tires. One of the things that I've done to help delay this is to tie a knot in the middle of the strip and shove that inside the tire casing.
Ooh, that’s smart! Thanks for the tip! Stan’s Dart tool is supposed to address that same concern.

I’ve never used a plug, although there were two Pro One episodes— I see the OP was a Pro One, too— where I could have used one. One of those times I limped home with the sealant breaking free every couple miles and pumping after letting it sit cut-at-the-bottom, but the other was an Uber call when I couldn’t wrestle the tire off the rim because I’d forgotten my levers.

Do you have any thoughts on the Dart versus your knot technique? I reckon I should heed the warning and buy some kind of plug kit today.