Old 04-21-21, 03:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the advice to start with a trainer or physical therapist. They can spot your technique and help you avoid injury. As we age it's easier to get injured and takes longer to recover.

I attended a physical therapy clinic two or three times a week for three months in 2019 and it really helped sort out some persistent neck and shoulder pain I'd had for a year since being hit by a car.

But I neglected my own good sense when I resumed running recently. I keep forgetting I'm only young in mind, not in body. I resumed jogging a few months ago for a change of pace, and to allow an old neck injury time to recover.

I started jogging gradually for several weeks, intermittent walking/jogging, then gradually adding strides, etc. Everything was going pretty well for the first few months, with gradual improvements. My 5k time gradually dropped to around 32 minutes and I figured I'd aim for 30 minutes and be happy with that. I ran sub-20 minute 5k in my teens and 20s, but that was 40 years ago and I hadn't run at all since.

Then I got some better, lighter shoes in February and started pushing harder. One night I felt better than usual and decided to try a 5k time trial just to see if I could break 30 minutes. I did it in 27 minutes, knocking 5 minutes off my previous best a week earlier.

But my form wasn't good and I got some knee pain.

Then I started doing sprints around the nearby school track, and faster tempo half-miles on a long, flat, straight stretch nearby. My speed was good. But now I had sore hips and abs. I hadn't prepped my core with PT to strengthen the hip adductors, abs and groin muscles that aren't really well developed from cycling.

Instead of taking some recovery time I kept pushing. By the end of March I could barely jog at all. Pain in both knees. Persistent left hip pain and groin soreness. And suddenly this week the left ankle hurts. I've limped a mile home the last couple of runs that started out well but suddenly developed ankle pain so bad I could barely hobble.

So I forced myself to take a break for a week or so and watch some YouTube tutorials from qualified running coaches. Turns out my approach and form was guaranteed to lead to the very injuries I'm experiencing.

Start out carefully. If you can't find a trainer or PT clinic due to the pandemic, check YouTube tutorials. Some are really good. Most are terrible. Too many PT videos drag on for 20-60 minutes, with zero evidence of preparation or editing. Painful.

The Bowflex channel has really good concise routines that don't require Bowflex equipment, and the videos are only 2-5 minutes, well prepared and edited.

Athlean-X is good, although his videos still drag on longer than necessary, around 20 minutes. He could pare those down to 5 minutes and convey the same info. But he knows his stuff and emphasizes good form.

For general physical therapy, especially the legs, check the "Knees Over Toes Guy" channel. There's nothing new there, but his enthusiasm is infectious and techniques are sound, and the videos are reasonably short.